Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The "Stork Bite"


“Stork bite” is the common term for nevus simplex, a birthmark that shows up on a third of all newborns. Stork bite is also referred to as a “salmon patch” because of its pink and flat appearance. It can show up on baby’s forehead, eyelids, nose, upper lip, or back of the neck, and usually disappears in about 18 months. 



It has faded since he was a newborn but it is definitely still present. You will notice it most when he's angry, upset, or hot. It will most likely fade away but there is a chance it won't. 


My reason for this post is because far to often when people..sometimes random strangers, acquaintances, or even distant family ask if Toby has face planted and scraped his head. While asking with that oh poor baby tone.

The best part is when I tell them no actually it's a birth mark. Most of the time they then feel like big jerks for pointing out the obvious. Like SO WHAT he has a birth mark on his forehead! I guess I get irritated because one if I was a complete stranger I would NEVER point out somebody else's "flaws" & two I try not to be naive about things that make a person different.

 I try not to get offended or upset but he is my baby and whether it's people commenting on that or his eczema I will always have that mama bear protect her cub mode on.

I know I'm biased but when I look at him he is the most beautiful baby boy I have ever laid my eyes on. I don't even see his birth mark when I look at him. It is a part of who my sweet Toby is. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi I just wanted to comment on your story. My daughter also has what I hope is a salmon patch on her forehead. We have a dermatology appointment next week so we will find out for sure. I am hoping it is the salmon patch so there is hope for it to fade and not one of the other vascular birthmarks I have read about which only gets bigger and darker and can be a symptom of further medical conditions. I agree it is very awkward when people ask what happened to her or comment about it. I don't want her to have a complex about it when she is older and it's difficult when it is pointed out so often. Thank you for posting this. It has made me feel less alone in the situation and let's me know there's others out there who deal with similar situations and feel the same way I do. You have a beautiful baby boy and I hope you and you family are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boy has a very similar stork bite. I think it’s interesting and adds to his appearance 😄. If it stays, I hope he finds it cool and unique.

    ReplyDelete